The Fort Worth Community Arts Center presents the 2020 Original Work Series. This new theatrical program will provide an outlet for new playwrights to showcase their work and have the opportunity to see their play produced on a professional level.
A panel of theatre professionals will review all submissions and select the top picks to receive staged readings in March 2020. From these readings, one script will be selected to receive full production for presentation in November 2020 in the Hardy and Betty Sanders Theatre. Selected work will be presented a $500 royalty. The Arts Center’s Production Manager will direct the chosen work. The playwright will take part in the rehearsals and the development of the new work. Cast will be a blend of equity /non-equity actors.
Guidelines and rules for the 2020 Original Work Series:
• Submit one, one-sided hard copy.
• Submission must begin with a title page that includes the work’s name and the playwright’s name, address, telephone number, and email.
• The manuscript must be typed in no less than 12-point type with numbered pages.
• Submission must be written in the English Language.
• Submission must be an original, full-length play that is unpublished.
• Include a character list and scene breakdown if applicable.
• The cast for the play must be limited to no more than 10.
• The script may have more than one author.
• Playwright(s) will include a brief biography.
• Do not send the only copy of a manuscript. All scripts will be handled with care, but The Arts Center will not be responsible for any loss or damage to your manuscript.
• Playwrights will be notified by email and a list of selected readings will be published on our website. There will be no written or oral critique given on scripts submitted.
There is a $15 entry fee for the competition, which must be paid along with the submitted script. Dramatists Guild members pay $10. Only checks and money orders will be accepted. Any script submitted without the entry fee will not be considered. Please make checks payable to Fort Worth Community Arts Center.
All submissions must be postmarked by November 15, 2019. Playwrights will be notified of selections for readings in January 2020.
Please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for receipt of the manuscript to be acknowledged. Submissions should include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for the play to be returned, should it not be selected for the season. Unselected submissions without a self-addressed, stamped envelope will be recycled.
• Submissions that have been previously produced or published will not be accepted.
• A play that is scheduled for professional production at the time of submission will not be accepted.
Submit the manuscript to:
Fort Worth Community Arts Center
c/o Jason Leyva
1300 Gendy Street
Fort Worth, TX 76107
Submissions can also be sent to
For more information, please contact Jason Leyva at